We are all still coping from the recent Orlando, Florida event that took place at Pulse nightclub where 50 people were killed. This mass murder comes from the guns of a man, guns which he purchased in the days leading up to his attacks. This event prompted yet another look at gun laws both nationwide and statewide. California in particular has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the U.S., but are they enough?
- Californians must be at least 18 years old to purchase a long gun and they must be at least 21 years old to purchase a handgun.
- Certain guns are illegal to purchase in California, such as assault weapons. One example: AR-15, the same gun used in the Orlando nightclub shooting.
- Californians can purchase no more than 1 handgun per month.
- There is a 10 day waiting period between applying for a gun and actually receiving it.
- Purchasers must pass a background check and a written test.
- Guns must be safely and securely stored at home, out of reach from children.
- Guns must be purchased through licensed dealers. Private sales are illegal.
- All guns and ammo are micro-stamped. Each time a gun is fired, a unique serial/identification code is stamped onto the bullets, making it easier for investigators to determine which bullet came from which gun, and thus, which shooter.
- All guns even concealed guns, are prohibited from college campuses.
- Individuals may contact the police with concern or knowledge that their loved one who owns a gun is planning an attack. The police will confiscate this person’s weapons for 21 days while they investigate. They do not need a warrant to confiscate.
These are just a few gun laws out of many and of course, any violation is going to warrant some serious consequences. After all, it is a gun law violation.
Guns are not to be taken lightly. They require a high level of responsibility and maturity. If you or someone you love has been arrested for a gun-related incident and is offered the opportunity to bail out of jail, consider it a blessing and please contact Bakersfield Bail Bonds immediately. No judgement. We will help bail your loved one out of jail with cheap bail bonds we offer and a low monthly rate payment plan. We can be reached online or at 661-326-0601.